Sun 21st July 2019


Do you have Highly Trusted Sponsor status?

Yes, Oxford International Study Centre is recognised as Highly Trusted Sponsors under Tier 4 of the Points Based System.

Is Oxford International Study Centre connected with Oxford University?

Oxford International Study Centre is not part of Oxford University. However, it is probably true to say that it is more closely connected with Oxford University than other independent international colleges in Oxford. The principal and most of the senior tutors are graduates of Oxford, and our summer courses (for those over 16) are held in the University. Some of our tutors also teach for the University, and we invite guest lecturers from the University to take part in many of our programmes. We are an affiliated institution of the Oxford University Union ( and therefore our students (age 16+) can become members, where they can enjoy the debates with world famous speakers, and use the libraries and restaurant.

How many students are there at Oxford International Study Centre?

There are usually around 130 students studying on both long term academic courses and year round English language courses.

What is a typical class size?

Most classes typically consist of between 10 and 12 students. However, in some A Level and IGCSE classes there are as few as 5 students. This makes us unique, enabling us to focus on your personal academic needs.

Which countries do the students come from?

Oxford International Study Centre attracts a wide range of nationalities. At present we have about 30 different nationalities studying with us.


How can I apply for a course?

If you wish to apply for an academic or English language course, click here.

What deposit is required in order to be accepted onto a course?

The exact deposit will depend on the course for which you are applying. A deposit of £500 is required for all English language courses (including Summer School) and £1000 for all academic courses. For those taking a pre-sessional English course followed by an academic course, a deposit of £1500 is required.

Will I require a pre-sessional English course before my University Foundation Programme/ A Level course?

To join one of our University Foundation Programmes or one of our A Level courses you will require an IELTS of 5.0 or equivalent. If your level is lower than the minimum requirement then yes, you will require a pre-sessional English course first.

Which English language test providers are accepted for entry to an academic course?

The following English language tests are the main tests which are currently accepted by the UKBA: IELTS; TOEFL IBT; PTE (Pearson); Cambridge Main Suite Examinations (PET ->CPE); a selection of other Cambridge ESOL examinations.

Do I need to take a UKBA approved English language test in order to be accepted for just an English language course?

A UKBA approved English language test is not necessary if you are planning on studying an English language course for up to six months. For entry onto this length of course, Oxford International Study Centre’s own English language test will be sufficient. However, if you are planning on studying an English language course for more than six months, then we recommend that you take one of the UKBA approved English language tests, such as IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson.

How long will it take for me to be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)?

We will endeavour to issue your CAS within 48 hours of receiving both your signed offer and your deposit.


Do I require a visa to study in the UK?

If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EU plus Norway and Iceland) or Switzerland, you do not require a visa. However, if you are from outside of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, then yes you will require a visa to study in the UK.

How do I apply for a Student Visa to come to the UK?

For up-to-date information on how to apply for a visa to come and study in the UK, click here.

Will I be refunded my deposit if my visa is refused?

Yes, if you are refused a visa we will refund your full deposit minus the registration fee. Registration fees for 2011 are as follows: £100 for academic and year round English language courses; £50 for Summer School

How do I apply for entry to a British university?

You will need to apply through UCAS, a British organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK. We will provide you with all the support and assistance you need on completing your UCAS application form and will also provide you with an academic reference for you to submit with your application.


How do I open a bank account?

You will only be able to open a bank account if you are enrolled on one of our courses for at least six months. If this applies to you, then you will need a letter from the college which you may obtain from us on your first day.

How do I register with the police?

You will only need to register with the police if there is a stamp in your passport requesting you to do so and this will need to be done within 7 days of arriving in the UK. In order to register, you will need to complete a simple registration form, which we will help you complete on your first day at the college. You will then need to personally visit the police station in Oxford with the following: your completed registration form; your passport; two passport-sized photographs; and an administration payment of £34 in cash.

How do I register with a doctor?

If you are enrolled on a course for at least six months, then you are entitled to free care on the National Health Service (NHS). You will have the opportunity to register with a local doctor on your first day at the college.


Where will I live during my studies?

You may choose to live either with a British homestay or in a private home and we can arrange one of these options for you. We highly encourage you to stay with a British homestay, as this environment provides you with the best opportunity to improve your English and experience British life and culture. For further details on our accommodation options, please click here.

Will I have to share a room?

No. If you are studying on an academic course or on a year round English language course, you will have your own private study bedroom. Summer School students are however required to share a room.

Do your homestays cater for Muslim diets?

Yes, all our homestays are flexible and cater for Muslim diets, ie. no pork/ham products and no alcohol. Some of our homestays will also gladly serve halal meat upon request.


How much money should I budget for to allow for living expenses?

The exact amount will depend on your individual circumstances and lifestyle, however, as a rough guide; we recommend that you allocate a minimum of £600 per month to cover living expenses, such as accommodation, food, travel, books, etc.

Does the college offer a sports and social programme?

Yes, we run a variety of sports and social activities throughout the year and many of these are organised by our Student Committee.