Frequently Asked Questions


Yes, Oxford International Study Centre is recognised as Highly Trusted Sponsors under Tier 4 of the Points Based System.

There are usually between 50 – 100 students studying on both long term academic courses and year round English language courses. The number of students during the summer is much higher.

Our maximum group size for all lessons is 15. Classes may be much smaller, depending on level and subject.

Oxford International Study Centre attracts a wide range of nationalities. We usually have students of around 10 different nationalities at any one time. Please ask for the current nationality mix during your chosen dates.


If you wish to apply for an academic or English language course, click here.

A deposit of 25% of your invoice total is required for all courses. Full payment may  be required if you need a CAS to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

To join one of our University Foundation Programmes or one of our A Level courses you will require an IELTS of 5.0 or equivalent. If your level is lower than the minimum requirement then yes, you will require a pre-sessional English course first.

We advise all students who need a visa to study with us to take the UKVI IELTS exam to prove your English Language level.

We will endeavour to issue your CAS within 48 hours of receiving both your signed offer and your deposit.

A UKBA approved English language test is not necessary if you are planning on studying an English language course for up to six months. For entry onto this length of course, Oxford International Study Centre’s own English language test will be sufficient. However, if you are planning on studying an English language course for more than six months, then we recommend that you take the UKVI IELTS exam to prove your English Language level.


If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EU plus Norway and Iceland) or Switzerland, you do not require a visa. However, if you are from outside of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, then yes you will require a visa to study in the UK.

For up-to-date information on how to apply for a visa to come and study in the UK, click here.

If you are refused a visa twice, and show us the letters of refusal, we will refund your full deposit, minus an administration fee of £50.

You will need to apply through UCAS, a British organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK. We will provide you with all the support and assistance you need on completing your UCAS application form and will also provide you with an academic reference for you to submit with your application.


You will only be able to open a bank account if you are enrolled on one of our courses for at least six months. If this applies to you, then you will need a letter from the college which you may obtain from us on your first day.

You will only need to register with the police if there is a stamp in your passport requesting you to do so and this will need to be done within 7 days of arriving in the UK. In order to register, you will need to complete a simple registration form, which we will help you complete on your first day at the college. You will then need to personally visit the police station in Oxford with the following: your completed registration form; your passport; two passport-sized photographs; and an administration payment of £34 in cash.

If you are enrolled on a course for at least six months, then you are entitled to free care on the National Health Service (NHS). You will have the opportunity to register with a local doctor on your first day at the college.


You may choose to live either with a British homestay or in a private home and we can arrange one of these options for you. We highly encourage you to stay with a British homestay, as this environment provides you with the best opportunity to improve your English and experience British life and culture. For further details on our accommodation options, please click here.

No. If you are studying on an academic course or on a year round English language course, you will have your own private study bedroom. Summer School students are however required to share a room.

Yes, all our homestays are flexible and cater for Muslim diets, ie. no pork/ham products and no alcohol. Some of our homestays will also gladly serve halal meat upon request.


The exact amount will depend on your individual circumstances and lifestyle, however, as a rough guide; we recommend that you allocate a minimum of £600 per month to cover living expenses, such as accommodation, food, travel, books, etc.

A full programme of social activities, including sports, is offered during the summer. Less regular social events are offered throughout the year for long-term students. All activities are organised by our Student Services Manager, who is always happy to offer advice on things to do in Oxford!